The International Association for the Study of Youth Ministry is a not-for-profit global organisation. Our aim is to support and develop the professionalisation of youth ministry and youth work around the world. In particular, we focus on furthering the academic study and research of youth and youth ministry, the formal teaching and training of youth ministry (at universities, seminaries, denominations, parachurch organisations, local ministries, or wherever else it may occur), and all those involved in career youth ministry and in the growth and development of youth ministry as a recognised profession. Our goal is to raise the profile of youth ministry as a calling, career and/or professional enterprise, and to encourage the reflection on youth ministry and academic discipline that will support youth ministry at this level.
The activities of the Association include:
- To provide an international network of interaction, information and resources.
- To publish an academic journal (two editions per year of The Journal of Youth and Theology).
- To raise the standard and awareness of youth ministry as a professional and academic discipline.
- Promoting inter-disciplinary research into youth ministry.
- Organising conferences on the study of youth ministry (an international conference is held every second January).
- National and regional conferences are organised by members in participating countries.
- A members-only Facebook discussion page.
- Raising funds to sponsor those who may not be able to afford to participate in the activities of the Association.
The Association is governed by a constitution, and its affairs run by an executive committee, elected by members at each international conference.